My brother Chad is seven years younger than I am. When my mom told us she was pregnant, I started praying right then for another brother. I'll be honest, it was all for selfish reasons. I knew if the baby was a boy, I'd have my own room for the rest of my life! Little did I know the brother I prayed for would become one of my dearest friends.
Chad has wanted to be in the military since he could talk. It all started with little green plastic army men. As he got older he learned all he could about the military. There was even a point when my parents took him to see "Saving Private Ryan," in hopes of showing him a realistic version of war, even hoping he might change his mind. Well, obviously it didn't work. His desire to serve our country grew stronger. He prepared himself in every way to meet his goal. He joined the ROTC in high school and quickly advanced within his group. He was even cadet of the year and the local paper did a story on him. As college approached he researched his options and chose a school that would give him the military training he needed and the option to take a 2 year leave to serve a mission. Virginia Military Institute was the right fit. Chad packed up and headed off to school. College life at VMI is not like college life at other schools. There are strict rules, uniforms, hazing, night watch, rigorous physical conditioning and training, all while completing your normal course work.
Well, here were are 6 years later (4 years of school and 2 years of a mission) and Chad has accomplished his goal to be in the military. On May 15th he was commissioned a US Marine. The next day he graduated with his Bachelor's Degree in International Business. He is 23 years old and even with serving a mission, he is done with school and already in a career. I am very impressed with his dedication. During the commissioning ceremony there were young men and women being sworn in to each branch of the military, Marine, Navy, Air Force and Army. Each branch had a representative there to speak and swear them it. It was an emotional event for me. Many of those speaking during the ceremony continually reminded us of the sacrifice these officers were making. They talked about friends lost and the effects war has on families. As I looked over the crowd of officers, I wondered who's life would be lost. Hoping of course that it would not be my brother, but not wishing it to be someone else's either. It is humbling knowing that these men and women, are sacrificing on our behalf. I haven't really appreciated this sacrifice until now. I am overwhelming proud of my brother.
Setting aside my brother's accomplishments, I love my brother for so much more. He cares about me, Dave, and our kids. He wants to know about our lives and is always taking time to call us. He makes time to visit us and build relationships with my children. Him and I find the same things funny. We like to joke around with each
other, which means sometimes he throws me over his shoulder, playful
wrestling, and some good "yo' mama" jokes. We can tease each other and take it. He likes my cooking and always appreciates what I make. Chad is a good friend and I am thankful for the relationship we share.
This week was a whirlwind of events and emotions. I am proud of the example my brother is to me and my family. I am so glad I prayed for this brother 23 years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment