Monday, August 18, 2008

Staying busy

I like to be busy. I take after my Grandma Peabody and my dad that way. I have found myself much busier than I expected for this time of year. I am continuing to help in the efforts for Proposition 8, Protecting Marriage. I have enjoyed being involved and seeing the significance of this proposition. I find it exciting to help in such a important issue that the first Presidency has even asked us to support.

Then, my sister in-law and I have gotten an exciting opportunity to plan a wedding open house. I was thrilled. We have both worked on things like this before and have considered doing something as a business, but have made no headway on it. This will be a fun opportunity to use our creativity. Plus, I have a fantastic friend who I consider the "jack of all trades," so we will put her to work too! (See Oh Mannion! then go to Ruth Mannion Floral Design) That will take place in November.

Then my Parkeroni. He has been having a hard time again. He has been quite fussy and unhappy. When we went in for his check up, he had not put on any weight. He went from 75th percentile to less than 50% in the last few months. The doctor is concerned that he may have Celiac disease. This is a total bummer because I almost had myself convinced that I didn't have it. (Nice try I thought) I just made a visit to the GI Specialist and am scheduled for an endoscopy where they will take a biopsy of my small intestine to test for the illness. It seems there is something going on though in Parker's body. So, we have been doing all we can to feed him all throughout the day and help him get the nourishment he needs. He is up to speed on his milestones, but he just starting to fall behind in his size. (It is funny to say that because he has a generous rolls and chub on his checks.) We have been praying for him and even some family members added him to the temple prayer rolls. We appreciate the extra support. He had some tests done last week and we should get the results in the next day or two. Even if it is Celiac, it probably won't give a positive result until he is older. Any extra thoughts or prayer for my Parker are appreciated.

Josh starts preschool this week. Actually, just a play-date with his classmates, then Tuesday is the official day. We have been talking about it. I have explained to him that pre-school is only for kids, not moms and dads. So, we can only stay for a short while and then we have to go. He seems to understand that now, but we'll see what happens that day. I am excited for him. He wants to learn how to read so bad, this will be a good chance to get even more familiar with his letters. Josh also had a check up this past week. He is 40 inches tall and 42 lbs. A big man for sure. He looks like he is about to grow again too.

As for my Dave-o he is working hard as a nurse. He picks up all the extra shifts he can. It is strange that August has rolled around and we do not have to discuss schedules or classes. Woo hoo! We all enjoy having Dad around much more. I am pretty sure Josh considers Dave one of his best friends. Sometimes, I think Dave might feel the same way about his little buddy.

Well... that is the update for now. I'll post when I know more about my Parker.

4 comments:

Tanja said...

I thought I'd share with you what happened with Cameron. When he had his 12 month check up he was in the 75th percentile for weight. He had been this since birth. Then he suddenly dropped at his 15 month(which happened only 2 mos later) to the 50%. Our doctor was also concerned and had him come in 1 month later to weigh again. He was concerned that Cameron my have hypothyroid since I have a thyroid disorder and it is very prevalent in my family. He also said that at this age it isn't uncommon for babies to drop weight because they are now on the go and getting to be pickier about food. I was sick thinking that my little guy would have hypothyroid this young. I decided to observe him every time I offered food. I found he was giving alot to the dogs. So, I made sure they were always out when he ate. Then, he wouldn't eat much because he just wasn't interested. So, I gave him anything I could to get him to eat & put weight on. He was eating well again and I was positive all was well. Then We came back one month later and he had lost weight and was down to the 30th percentile. I was freaking out and wanted blood tests done right away. Our doctor calmed me down and said we would give him one more month since I had made recent changes to improve his eating and he is constantly on the go. We came back a few weeks later and he gained weight and jumped back up to the 50th and has been gaining ever since. So, try to not worry. I think when we have history with these illnesses it often makes the doctor concerned in which case puts us into a panic. It may very well be nothing more than your sweet baby turning into an active toddler....I'll keep him in my prayers.

Tanja said...

One more comment...check my blog. You've been tagged.

Tanja said...

I feel like a stalker having 3 comments on one post. I just read your comment on my blog and wanted to reply. Cameron is doing great. Like I said he has been putting on weight. He's super tall. He just turned 2 on Aug. 9. I guess I should have posted about that! He talks like crazy and is so, so busy. I can't imaging the amount of calories these young fellows burn. I really hope you can get some peace of mind about this soon. I'm sure all is well...It's our job to worry though, right? The upside I guess is that if he did have a problem at least he will never any memory of life without it. It will be very normal to him. I'm sure for you it's been insane figuring out what to eat. I'd probably die if I ever became diabetic or something...Much love to you and your kiddos. Keep us posted!

James and Rebecca said...

Your friend Tanja has some reassuring comments. My prayers are with you. I can't believe how much you do! Thanks for your comment on our blog!