Thursday, August 7, 2008

Getting political

It is official, I have begun my "assignment." I barely have any time to blog now! I will fit it in soon. So, I am working with many people in my ward to get voters to VOTE for Proposition 8, The California Marriage Proposition Amendment. It is the same wording as the prop. 22 that we voted for a few years back,"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." Tonight was the first meeting that our church hosted at a home. It went smoothly. I have never been involved in any kind of political work before. As we start walking to homes or making phone calls, I am sure it will get more interesting!

Here is my theory in a nutshell. People already have an opinion about this issue. I am sure I am not going to change anyone's mind, nor will they change mine. My job though, is to help get those people who feel the same way I do, out to the polls to support this proposition. If you feel the same way I do then, talk to your friends, network, or get involved. If you would like to do more, you can even donate money to ProtectMarriage.com. It is a coalition that is working with a variety of churches, organizations, and individuals to fight this battle. If you know me and would like to donate, I have a form I can e-mail you with details.

This is a chance to not only protect marriage, but also show judges in our state that they can not change our votes. When the public speaks, they should be heard.

1 comment:

Orange Peanut said...

sounds like we are doing the same thing. let's talk and compare notes, 482-kanz