Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Janell


Over the past few months I have had an overwhelming amount gratitude for my family relationships. Especially my sister in-law, Janell. There have been a few times when I will be thinking about her and I just have to tell her how much she means to me. So I would just send her a text telling her. I even felt prompted to post about my sister in-laws just a few entries back.

Well in just the last couple weeks Janell has been dealing with some health issues. She had a lump in her breast the doctors were concerned about. She had a skin biopsy done and had to wait a week for the results. I was sure it wasn't anything. I brushed it off, While we were out shopping a couple days before the results returned I told her she had nothing to worry about. I just assumed she was too young to be concerned about it being something serious. Well, I was wrong. In fact, it is quite serious. She was diagnosed with a rare form of breast cancer called Paget's disease. It is rare because they don't know if the cancer starts on the skin and works it's way in or the opposite, starts inside and works it's way out. In addition she has a tumor and a mass that are both cancer. This news was completely shocking to me. Not just me really, all of us! She is 28 and has an almost 1 year old Violet. You just don't think this could happen at such a young age.

Each year as "Mills" women, we walk in the Susan G. Komen, Walk for the Cure. We do this in honor of my husband's grandma, Eloise Monteith. She was a survivor of breast cancer. Each year we hear the reminders, wear our breast cancer shirts, and we are humbled by those survivors who walk with us in the crowd. I just honestly never thought about on of our family members wearing that pink shirt.

I think this week the shock has turned into action. I was overwhelmingly emotional after the news. Crying often and easily. This week we are pulling resources, making plans, offering help, doing what we can to try to lighten their burden. When I say we, I mean everyone... friends, family, even people they have never met. Janell though, solid as a rock. Reassuring, confident, positive, and ready to do what needs to be done. All the things a doctor could ask for. In fact, when she met with the surgeon he told her that if he ever gets cancer, he wants to handle just like her. The glass half full. Everything is new and important to understand. Peter and Janell are working as a team to digest the information and make the right decisions for their family. We all know there is a rough road ahead. I am confident and positive, but I dreading what what this next year will hold. I am continually comforted by the spiritual experiences Janell has had along the way.

I am grateful for the prompting of the spirit. I always regret not acting on it and this time I am thankful I did. Janell is my sister. I love her and she knows it. We are ready to help her fight this battle! We know she can do it and we will be there each step of the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. She is in our prayers!