Friday, June 15, 2012

Market Day


At Josh's school they earn Coyote cash during the year. Three times a school year they have market day where you can buy or sell items or services (such as petting an iguana or battling someone's Beyblade) using your "cash." The first time they had market day Josh had a hard time choosing what to purchase with his money. By the time he went back to buy items, they were gone. He came running to the car after school in tears. He wasn't able to buy anything. My heart hurt for him. I knew it was a good lesson for him to learn how to be decisive, but I still felt bad it was a disappointment. So, he learned that items sell fast, so you have to think quickly.

Parents are welcome to come to Market day to help their children sell. I told myself I'd support him at the next market day, but when it came around I wasn't able to go. I was anxious to hear about his experience, hoping it was better than the first. This time when he came running to the car he was thrilled with his purchases. A muffin and a bookmark (that was cut out of a cereal box with stickers.... not thrilling to me). He told me that he had dropped his cash and must have realized it later. He wasn't able to get it all back, but he wasn't upset about it. I was grateful he wasn't upset, but after he told me he had about $100 in coyote cash, I felt bad he had dropped it. So I committed to myself that I would be at the next market day.

So, this is Josh at his booth. I decided we were going to make market day the best of the year (not too hard to do). He sold Ninjago blowpop suckers, ring pops, and splash bombs (tied together sponges). He was a hit! He felt so good about the success of his items. Dave even snuck over from work to check in on the event. Josh started with $25 and ended up with about $200. Josh and Dave went on a shopping spree. Josh was happy with the items he bought, even getting a chance to pet that iguana!

If you know our Josh, you know that we couldn't ask for a better boy. I know learning and growing is part of the parent/child experience and I'm grateful I have Josh to go through it all with first.

No comments: