Thursday, December 25, 2008

Monteith Family Party and Talent Show



We had one rock'n party with the Monteith family last weekend. (That is my mother in-laws family.) In the past, they had Christmas/Talent shows for their family party. So, this year was the reinstatement of the talent show. It was great! First of all, Eric and Carri hosted it at their home. They did a wonderful job, all the food was fantastic. Eric made a variety of soups with bread bowls. They even had a mini bread bowl for Josh. It was nice to visit with everyone. Now there are two other children besides my own, plus Dan had his two boys with him, who felt like instant family members. (They even participated in the talent show and had just met us for the first time.)

Back to the Talent portion of the party. We had a many different talents, Janell shared her baking skills, Peter taped himself doing a drum solo, Amber and Aaron are psychics and showed off their skills, Uncle John wrote a fantastic poem that I will post at the end, Cory and Kayla drew everyone in the room, Carri shared music from her CD and future music video, Dan juggled, his son older son made a glass sing, and his other son did the worm, and we ice skated as a family on wax paper. We are full of talents! It was very fun though getting to see each person put on a show.

We are thankful for the fun we get to have as a family anytime of year. Thank you all for a memorable evening!

My Family
by John David Monteith

I was born in America half Irish/half Scot
there were uncles and cousins, sisters and aunts.
From paycheck to paycheck, we did our best,
easy credit took care of the rest.
The memories I have aren’t of possessions,
but the old kitchen table and heated discussions.
Birthdays at the park,
carving pumpkins in the dark,
board games and cards,
weddings in the yard,
hours on the phone,
we were never alone.
We gathered together at the gazebo to share in the loss of our beloved people.
We gathered together at the hospital to gaze upon babies so perfect and little.
I never became what I wanted to be,
life’s little lessons were all lost on me.
And when I’m broke down and the world’s just not fair,
the bills pile up and the boss doesn’t care,
I turn off the news and pick up the phone,
for the strength that I need when I’m feeling alone.
I may not be rich, but I have been blessed,
I stay close to my family and God does the rest.

No comments: