Saturday, May 3, 2008

Bad news for business!

I always joked that my family growing up, was probably the only family that bought Imodium AD in bulk. I am starting to see what our problem is caused by. Today I received the results of some blood work I did a couple weeks ago. I have had a sensitive stomach when I eat dairy, so I wanted to see if I was lactose intolerant. A couple days ago the dr.'s office called because my doctor wanted see me. When I went in today and the nurse asked what I was in for, I said I wasn't sure it was related to some blood work I did. She informed me that they usually only call back old people for that. (Thanks a lot lady! If I wasn't a bit worried already!) When my dr. can in, she told me that most my tests came back normal except for one. It turns out that I have Celiac, something similar to a wheat allergy.

So, I am suppose to have a gluten-free diet. If you didn't know, turns out gluten is in everything (even make-up)!! While I don't have an upset stomach that often (only when I eat ice cream) my body is not absorbing the nutrients it needs. After I had Josh I got extremely thin and had an upset stomach quite often. The pieces are now starting to fall into place. I thought I was border line until I re-read my test tonight and realized I was definitely positive for it. So, I am going to start doing my research, which includes talking to some people with the same issue. The plan is to go gluten free for a month and see how I feel. The doc said I should get more energy. Which I already feel that I have a good amount of, but more is always better. So, if you know of anyone with this or have additional info, please pass it along to me. My brother in-law Peter said, "Now here is the real question, will you still be able to eat Wendy's?" If I have to make an occasional sacrifice, I will!

5 comments:

Missy said...

hey, Ashley, that totally sucks. My brother-in-law Josh has wheat allergies too. I'll try to get some info out of him for you. My in-law's have come up with a lot of gluten-free meals especially for his diet too.

Janelle said...

My friends little boy has that plus FPIES-which is kind of along the same line, but WORSE! She has a website for him and recipes that she finds that work. It makes eating a little hard, but there are ways. The site is http://justjackingaround.blogspot.com/ Hope you find this helpful.

Jesse, Devon and Aida said...

Ok...First I would like to say that you are on a Bloggin' ROLL!! You are so good at posting! I had a friend that had this same thing and he said it took some getting used to but now its not a big deal...that would be hard though I'm sorry! Do you shop at Trader Joe's? I'm sure they have tons of stuff that is wheat free.
Way to go JOSH!! What a big boy for wearing undies! You are brave to have him wear them overnight...I still put a diaper on Aida but usually she keeps it dry. I know that its probably confusing her but I'm lazy and don't want to change her sheets! (I'm trying to remember all of your posts that I wanted to comment on!!)
Good job staying firm with Parker I am impressed that you stuck with it but if you kept him occupied I bet it wasn't too bad. How is he doing now? What a stinker I can't believe he wouldn't eat solids!! You are such a good momma! How cute that you decorated the toilet!! Ok I've rambled long enough!! What does your week look like...lets get together!

Debbie said...

Ashley-

Stephanie Hromiko's son Jonah was recently diagnosed as well. She's always been a great cook and now has the entire family on a gluton free diet--talk to her, I'm sure she'll be able to point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Orange Peanut said...

Wow, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this! Hang in there! I would definitly talk to Stephanie, like Debbie suggested!